Monday, October 30, 2006

The Dark Side of the Year

Daylight savings time has ended for another year, bringing with it the crushing weight of darkness at 5:30 PM. I dread this end of the year because it marks the beginning of a period of lethargy for me that is hard to fight. Now, especially that I work in a cubicle that has no direct access to outside light, if I don’t make an effort to get outside during the day, it is quite a shock to my system to head to my car at night in a darkened parking lot, often with the moon shining above. My body just screams at me, get home and get to bed!

I can’t imagine what it is like in more northern climes where the days are even shorter than they are here. I think if I lived in one of those places, I might actually fall into a state of hibernation. I must resolve this year to get outside everyday, if only for a few minutes, and get some sunlight on my retinas. I need to look into purchasing one of those sunlight light bulbs, although I am afraid of becoming addicted to it, like the person on “Northern Exposure.”

There may be a ray of hope for me this year. Recently, genetic tests revealed I have a sleep disorder. Quite possibly, it is the cause behind my years of fighting fibromyalgia and other things. I’ve been placed on a medication to regulate my sleep, and so far, the results have been nothing short of miraculous. I’ve stopped all pain medications and I am no longer afraid to drive my car at certain times of the day (I was falling asleep at the wheel). I wake up without the alarm clock, and can actually get out of bed without dragging myself. I am hoping that this sudden improvement in my overall health may counteraffect the loss of light at this time of year. Who knows, I may even grow to like it!

No comments: