Monday, October 02, 2006

Mysterious Banking Rituals

Today, I needed to make a deposit to my checking account, pronto, as my balance was circling the drain. Normally, I conduct all my business at the ATM, but for some reason, I had left my card at home, necessitating a trip inside the bank.

I wrote out my deposit slip, asked for a certain amount of cash back, and approached the teller. First she tells me that even though the deposit slip clearly indicates "cash taken" from the deposit, she could only deposit the checks, and I would need to make the withdrawal from the ATM. I told her I didn't have my card, she replied that she could do it for me. So, I corrected the deposit slip and waited for my money.

"Oh," she says. "I can't give you the money." My account, circling the drain as I said, did not have enough funds in it to cover the withdrawal. "But," I protested, "When I deposit checks through the ATM, there is a courtesy amount ready for withdrawal immediately, and the rest of the deposit when the checks clear." The teller shook her head in agreement, then proceeded to tell me that I was correct, I could go and make the deposit at the ATM and get cash back.

"But I don't have my card," I repeated. "Then I can't give you any money," she replied, "only deposit the checks. Maybe they will clear by tomorrow."

Now, am I the crazy one, or do you agree that this entire transaction made no sense. If I had conducted the process through the ATM, I could have taken out cash against my deposit. However, INSIDE the bank, with HUMAN assistance, I had to walk away empty-handed.

So right now, my wallet is circling the drain.

No comments: