Sunday, February 11, 2007

In Memory of Mario DeCarolis

Last year, I published an article about playing in a swing band in high school. It was a light-hearted trip down memory lane, mostly a reminisecence about playing 1940s music in the middle of the 1970s. In it, I recalled how our director, Mario DeCarolis, would pick up his saxophone and show us all how it was done.

Today, I received word that, at age 81, Mario DeCarolis passed away on February 9. I spent a few minutes re-reading my article, and thinking back to those high school days, when my life was in chaos and playing music with the high school band was the one thing that kept me sane. How I lived for the marching band practices, the football games on Saturdays, and the Monday evening rehearsals for the dance band, The Indigos.

I was a passable musician, able to hold my own playing the deep throated bass clarinet and the baritone saxophone. I also did a stint as the dance band vocalist, trying my best to keep my teenage voice in tune with the band. Through it all, Mr. “D,” as we called him, would instruct, encourage and tolerate my squeaks, squawks and flubbed lyrics.

I look back at the photos, mostly shots of a drenched band in the football stands, it rained 7 out of 9 games my senior year. I also still have the photo of the entire band assembled in front of the falls in Niagara, from the time we went there to march in a parade. And somewhere, in a place where my kids can’t see it and laugh at it again, is my official band photo, better known as the “I Love My Clarinet” shot. In my closet still hangs my band jacket, a little musty, and way too small, and on the shelf overhead is the little black clarinet case that still has a EBHS Bears sticker on it. Souvenirs of my days in the band.

Tonight, I find myself looking over those old things, thinking about those old days, and remembering a teacher who left a lasting influence on my life. While giving me the gift of music, he also gave me the gift of self-confidence and helped me get through some very tough years.

His music has not been silenced, not as long as it still plays for those of us whose life he touched.

5 comments:

Frank said...

Noreen -- Nice thoughts of Mr. D. I've been thinking of putting a few words together on him myself. I, too, was in the Indigos a few years before you (EBHS '68 - played second tenor - the first solo of each performance in Mood Indigo) and the concert band, and the orchestra. Between the unusual pair of Mr. D and Jerry Kupchynski, the foundation they laid has provided me with 40 years of finding beauty, solace, and joy in music.

He's probably the most important, and most cherished memory of my High School life.

-- Frank Patrick

Noreen said...

Thanks Frank, He was an extremely important force in my life too. I was able to attend the wake and I think the family took some comfort in the fact that some former students who were still in the area were able to attend. In fact, one actually played a tribute to him on his saxaphone.

Anonymous said...

Dear Noreen,
Not sure how I found you. Kind of by accident on the web, but I recognized your name. I'm a little younger. Turning 50 in a month. Maybe you remember me-I am Shelley Koss-clarinet-class of 75. I just read that Mr. D passed away and started crying. What an inspiration he was. What a talent!
I still have my Niagra Falls picture too. I became a band director in West Orange and later directed musical theater in Los Angeles. I own a company now with my husband.
Mr. D was the most important teacher in my life. And even after all the college I had, I conducted band just like him and scheduled my lessons just like he did.
81. He did good. He had a very full life.
"You Made Me Love You" You sang that one, right? I loved the Indigos.
Glad to see you have been successful.

All the best.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Dear Noreen,

Was it Stephen Kaplan that played sax at the wake? I just thought it would be him. A couple years behind me in school. Went on to be a music teacher too.

Shelley

Noreen said...

Thanks Shelly, and yes I remember you- and that WAS my song! Glad to hear you went into music. Just think how many music teachers were developed because of Mr D. And yes, it was Steve who played at the wake.
the family will be happy to see your comments, they were very touched to see that so many of us have such fond memories.