Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dave Barry is Back!

I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of AdulthoodI'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood by Dave Barry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I love listening to Dave Barry read his own work, it makes me feel like I am swapping stories with an old friend. And, typical of those "old friend" conversations, topics will sometimes cover familiar ground. But also true of those "old friend" conversations, I laugh at the same stories and revel in the new ones.

Barry hits some high points here, with his vampire love story parody and his too-near-the-truth tale of the state of American health care. He includes here his previously-published colonoscopy story, which I fully intend to share with some of the colonoscopy-phobics in my life.

Barry also gives us his take on religious institutions, which gave me my favorite line of the book. While comparing his experiences with both Christian and Jewish ceremonies, he declares that perhaps his true religion is Joketarian, described this way:

"We Joketarians believe it's possible that an all-powerful, all-knowing God created the earth and its creature, But if he did, He was obviously kidding."

I couldn't agree more.


Disclaimer: The fact that Dave Barry wrote "to my idol" to me on the inside cover of "Boogers Are My Beat" in no way influenced this review. :)



View all my reviews

No comments: