Thursday, February 02, 2012

GroundDay 2012 - Rodent Confusion

My Jamesburg groundhog
Since this blog is rooted in the adventures of the small furry ones among us, the adventures of groundhogs need to be included — at least on Groundhog Day. Today's groundhogs have come out on either side of the question. Some have said "six more weeks of winter" and some have said "spring will be early."

Here in New Jersey, the winter has been mild, and we are all holding our breath until April to see if we escape the snows of yesteryear. We have even had a few days when it was perfectly appropriate to turn off the heat and open the windows; at least for a few hours. It is no wonder that the groundhogs in this area are confused. Not to mention the ongoing debate as to whether or not an accurate prediction can be made if a groundhog sees his shadow because of all the television lights and flashbulbs going off.

I have my own personal groundhog, a large, tough creature who could not be persuaded to leave his den under my shed by either earthquake or hurricane. I certainly know better than to challenge the claws of this rodent to try and rouse him out of his hole for a specific weather prediction for my small town. I have decided to let sleeping groundhogs lie – at least the one in my yard.

After all, the famous groundhogs getting their 15 minutes of fame across the country today really do agree with each other, no matter what their predictions are. Spring will be here – sooner OR later.

No comments: