Saturday, March 10, 2012

Giant Rats? And it's a GOOD thing?

When John Platt writes an article about ecology, conservation and general animal welfare, I pay attention. He knows his stuff. Last week I cried over his article about rhinos who are attacked for their horns, then left to die, bleeding and mutilated.  Other times, his stories bring a smile when we learn about a species making a comeback, or a habitat being protected. However, today his article touches on a subject often discussed here at Roderama — mainly rats and the other small furry ones around us.

I've written about the rat experiments that humanize them to an uncomfortable degree, rats that have outsmarted scientists and the rats that, every so often try to share my home. What I have never written about is the rat-as-food although I do know that occasionally someone on "Survivor" might consider preparing one for dinner.  Honestly, a rat would have to be a meal of desperation, even the biggest rats I've ever encountered wouldn't be much of a meal.

That is what I thought until John's article. While rats as big as cats are an urban legend in cities, they are apparently really alive and kicking in other parts of the world. Called "cane rats" or "grasscutter rats," these native-to-Africa rats are apparently large enough to be considered "mini livestock," suitable for farm raising as an alternate meat source. One of the challenges, apparently is understanding "grasscutter reproduction."

A little rat research into experiments previously covered in this blog will reveal the "drive female rats mad for sex" drug. A little of that and we can have all the giant rats we want. I can't wait to see the recipes that will be featured on The Food Channel.

No comments: